Thursday 10 December 2009

Pop Life at Tate Modern - Risqué Business

Pop Life at Tate Modern was a real mix. It certainly had lots of energy and the curators were thinking outside of the box in who and how they put it together, however, it was a bit on the seedy side and I'm pretty sure there were a few spectators there who had not come for the art.

My highlights were Warhol's Gem's, Takashi Murakami's video with Kirsten Dunst with the soundtrack 'The Vapors - Turning Japanese', Damien Hirst's spot paintings with twins ('Ingo, Torsen' 1992, a set of identical twins stationed in front of two of Hirst's dot paintings), Gavin Turk's plaque (I never seem to tire of seeing this - probably because of the story which goes behind it) and Keith Haring's floor to ceiling embellished Pop Shop.

This is what artist/critic Matthew Collings had to say "What I thought after I came out of 'Pop Life'".

No comments:

Post a Comment