Tuesday 10 November 2009

Like? Why do we like, like, like?

Just before an after school staff meeting I overheard a senior school student (aged about 17) discuss his work with a teacher but I have no idea of the content of what he was saying as it was punctuated so heavily with 'like' that I was completely distracted. Now I am aware that this word has crept into my own oral vocabulary and I am a bit alarmed about the invasion. Especially because at home this evening my 7 year old told me about their own day's experience and it was littered with 'like'. When did this invasion begin, why, and how much am I responsible for my child's 'like's? My 7 year old understands that using 'nice' is not a great descriptive word. I wonder if they will give up 'like' so happily too?

What words could be used instead by all ages? 'Similar', 'close to', 'resembling', 'bordering on', 'not unlike', 'comparable' and just plain old pause/silence to punctuate?

But then, why single out 'like'...what about 'you know', 'basically', 'actually'......? Is it a symptom of our media rich, information saturated society that every space - verbal as well as visual - has to be filled?

No comments:

Post a Comment